Lulu background

Friday, April 29, 2011

{a List}

It always happens when I have the most to do and am under the most stress.  I start thinking BIG.  What are my overarching life goals?  What makes me happy?  What do I hate?  What can I do right NOW to help me reach those goals?  In times of strife, it helps to make a list...

Things I like:
 - Sleeping in (well, really it's that I hate getting up anytime before 7:30-8 am)
 - Planning events with enough notice to not be rushed but not so much that it's dragged out (but definitely being involved from the beginning!)
 - Running the show (being in charge...shocker, right?)
 - Playing with linen, china, floral, and lighting - the pretties!
 - People who follow through on what they say they will do
 - Mild weather (73-77 degrees during the day and upper 50s to mid 60s at night sounds perfect!)
 - Water.  Being near water makes my heart beat stronger.  Lake, ocean, whatever.  
 - Balance between using my brain and using my hands
 - Working with highly respected, genuine people. 

Things I hate:
 - Traffic and driving around everywhere
 - Being over-committed and having to schedule every moment of my life
 - Accounting and budgets
 - Bugs
 - Game playing, politics, and drama for no good reason
 - Monotony 
 - Waste and pollution

My response at first glance is that I am definitely doing the right thing by being in school now and focusing on my dream of opening an event venue.  I keep telling myself that the craziness I go through for school and for my job(s) and for my volunteer leadership positions all works towards my goals of operating a SUCCESSFUL business in the future.  However, what if I don't stay in Texas?  I don't know if my "perfect property" will be here.  I want to stay close to my family and who knows where my personal life may lead, but I don't know if being in D/FW is going to lead me to my ultimate stress-free, rewarding and sustainable life.  

What can I do right now to make my life easier?  Well, I can't work less because I sure as heck need money to live.  I could find a 40-hour a week job that pays my bills better and doesn't require me to "think about work" when I'm at home, but I know I won't be happy.  I could reduce my drive time and commutes by trying to get all the parts of my life closer together.  But that would mean moving to Dallas and probably having to leave TWE, and I don't/can't/won't do that.  I could drop out of the leadership roles I have, but that would mean damaging some personal relationships and lessening the professional benefits I am getting from these positions. 

See?  So, what is a girl to do except to keep pushing through this challenging time and trust that it will all work out in the end.  With the perfect property, perfect weather, and perfect clients.  

Related:  A homeowner at job #1 said she was going to the north Queensland area of Australia and that it's fall there, but that up there it's kind of always perfect.  Roadtrip, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment